Friday 8 February 2013

Assignment #4 Logic Model of Evaluation




                                        Logic Model 

Rationale


I chose to evaluate the programming at an alternate education building in my school division. I used to teach at a Middle Years School in the city with students who were not successful in the regular stream. When our school closed, we were told that regular classroom teachers were doing a much better job of working with all behaviors and backgrounds. Yet, we continue to have some programs still running as an alternate setting. My desire to evaluate these programs comes from my internal question as to why some alternate settings close and others stay open. Are these schools successful? If so, for whom? Therefore, I chose a high school that has many different programs that addresses the needs of certain students, many who are First Nations.

Bishop Murray is a school that is structured to meet the unique needs of its students; it has been running for many years. It has a chaplain, daycare facility, an addictions counselor, an elder, career counselor, a one room school program, career and exploration program during the day and evening, an adult 12 program and a block program. Student enrollment is kept small and staffing is doubled up to increase the odds of success. Even after all of this, the graduation rates for First Nations students still needs to improve.

While I would like to evaluate all of the programs individually, it doesn't seem feasible. Therefore, my goal is to focus on First Nations Students. I plan to look at what programs are working, what programs are not according to the students and teachers. I will assess the past several years of graduation rates for First Nations students, interview teachers and students, provide surveys for both and spending time on-site to come up with programming that will increase the retention of First Nations students. Looking at past statistics will also provide background information that can be used in compilation with other recorded data. Researching successful programs will also be an integral part of my preparation.

By looking at the process of how programs are implemented, activities are delivered and student and teacher input, I will be able to determine what programs are aiding in the success of First Nations Students retention rates in this alternate setting. The outcome is whether or not the program at Bishop Murray is making a difference for First Nations Students.



1 comment:

  1. Great job Tamara. Slapping this down on the table for your stakeholders would be a great way to focus the evaluation plan. The description is helpful and gives me a context for the LM. I agree with your assumptions about the benefits for students.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete